Wednesday 27 May 2009

Mia, agility and focus


Thought I better give another Mia update.

Today she seemed v unfocused and just wanted to run about.
As her recal isnt v good I only have her offlead in safe areas with fairly few distractions.
So as this evening was agility - outside!! I though I better get some focus on her

I did this in a couple of ways
1st - I sent her and Ben away to play and run around a bit - just to calm down.
But then I called Ben back and started working him, anytime Mia showed any focus to me I just gave her treats and kept on playing with Ben.
After about 20 min of this she started to really pay attention to me so now I asked for a trick or 2 and then released her to play before she got bored and wondered off herself.
After a short time of this the dogs didnt really want to be released and on their 'free time' they were following me around - I actually had some great heeling around the field with great eye contact without even asking for it.
So now I did some stays and played with the toys and then we headed home.

So did it work??
Really well, at agility Mia got her 'were here to work' head on really quickly, she only ran off once the whole time and only wasnt staying well once - much better than last week where 50% of the time I had to go and fetch her.
The next class started coming in early and the GSD Mia hates was actually at one point about 10m away from us when we were about to do a run - she barked a couple of times but calmed down and did her job without running off

Really great progress! One step closer to a happy dog - and who knows mibby even one who can compeate at agility one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails