Thursday 11 March 2010

Dog training methods


I love training my dogs, I think training ANYTHING is great for your dogs.

Everything we ask our dogs to do is a trick to them, sitting, coming when called, doing an agility round or dancing on their back legs - its ALL tricks to them.

There are several different ways we can train our dogs tricks


1. Compulsive/manipulation

2. Luring

3. Targeting

4. Capturing

5. Shaping


Over the next few days I would like to spend a little time going into all the methods, looking at what they mean for us and for our dogs, the pros and cons of each method and how we can combine the methods to create quite complex tricks that not only stimulate our dogs but also give our brains a workout as we have to try and out-think our dogs.


If you have any videos of you training your dogs or any methods you would like to share please post them here and I might include some in future posts.


Please remember if you would like to vote for this blog as the top dog blog (and I would love it if you would) you need to sign up for the newsletter at http://www.trainpetdog.com/ and in a couple of days they will ask you to vote for your top dog blog. There will be prizes not only for me but for you lot too if this blog does well in the contest

1 comment:

  1. Nice series of articles. I like it ! I love my Sheltie and treat her often for tricks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails